Development Permits

The City of Wetaskiwin issues development and building permits for all construction within city limits. Permits are required to ensure that all work completed will conform to the construction and safety standards that have been accepted under the Safety Codes Act, and that the inspection(s) will be provided by certified safety codes officers.

Permits are processed upon receipt of permit fees. Development and building permits should be submitted to the City of Wetaskiwin. Information regarding building permits can be found on the IJD Inspections Ltd website. Electrical, gas, and plumbing are processed through IJD Inspections Ltd. Subdivision applications should be submitted to West Central Planning Agency for approval.

No work can commence until the permits have been reviewed and approved. Failure to comply can result in double fees, as well as violation enforcement fees.

For more information or to obtain a permit, please call 780.361.4431 or visit the Development Services office at Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 - 50 Avenue).

Do I Need a Permit?

If You Are:You Need a Permit For:
Building a new home or buildingXXXXX
Building a deck under 2 feet highX

Building a deck over 2 feet highXX

Adding a shed under 100 square feetX

Adding a shed over 100 square feetXX

Building a garageXXX
Developing a basement
Adding a secondary suiteXXXXX
Building an additionXXXXX
Doing interior renovations
Relocating a manufactured homeXXXXX
Installing a wood burning stove

Demolishing a buildingXX

View permit application packages and fee information.

Building permits are not required for the following:

  • Fences (however, a fence permit is required at no cost)
  • Sheds 100 square feet or less
  • Decks under 2 feet in height

How Long is the Permit Valid?

Every permit issued shall expire by limitation and become null and void if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within 365 days from the date of issue of the permit, or if the work authorized by the permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days at any time after the work is commenced.