RSSEmailPrintHomeContact Us

Go To Search
Click to Home
Animal Control
Animal Licensing Information
The City of Wetaskiwin has an Animal Control Bylaw in place stating that all pet owners must register their cats and dogs over the age of 12 months with the City of Wetaskiwin. This is a one-time registration fee that is good for the life of the pet.

For more information, please contact our Community Peace Officers at (780) 361-4401.

Registration Fees
  • Spayed or neutered dog or cat - $25 (one-time fee)
  • Non-spayed or non-neutered dog or cat - $150 (one-time fee)

Other Fees & Fines
  • Cat Boarding Fee - $15.75 per day
  • Cat Release Fee (registered and neutered) - $25
  • Dog Boarding Fee - $21 per day
  • Dog Release Fee (registered and neutered) - $25
  • Unregistered animal release fee is $100
  • Non-resident animal release fee is $25

License Regulations
All cats and dogs must have a City-issued license.

Lost Pets
All lost and found pets in the City of Wetaskiwin are housed at the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic which, under contract with the City, operates the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter:
4735–39 Avenue
Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 2E9
Ph: (780) 352-7006.

If you find a lost or stray animal, there are a few ways to return the animal to its owner:
  • If the pet has a City of Wetaskiwin license, call (780) 361-4401 to be connected with a peace officer who will contact the owner. 
  • It it is during business hours take the pet to the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter (4735-39 Avenue) and they will contact the City to contact the owner.
  • After normal business hours please call the RCMP Complaint Line at 780-312-7267. 
  • If you would like to adopt the animal, be sure to ask for special consideration when reporting it or turning it over to the shelter. If the owner does not reclaim the animal and it is adoptable, you will be considered first for adoption.

If you have lost a pet, follow these steps:
  • Immediately look around your neighbourhood.
  • Visit the Animal Shelter to see if your pet has been turned in.
  • Check with bylaw services to make sure that the contact information associated with your license is correct. If your pet is licensed and wearing tags, animal services will contact you if your pet is found.
  • The Animal Shelter holds all pets for a minimum of three business days, so be sure to check back regularly.

What if the City Has Your Pet?

  • If your pet is lost contact City of Wetaskiwin Peace Officers at 780-361-4401.
  • Also contact the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic at 780-352-7006.
  • If your pet is in the Animal Shelter, you will have to pay some fees or fines.