Public Hearings & Notices
*in-person attendance at City Council meetings is limited due to provincial health restrictions. Attendance via virtual online meetings is encouraged.*
Upcoming Public Hearings
Notice of Public Hearing for Resolution 453/21 (Wastewater Treatment Facility)
Date: Monday, January 24, 2022 | Time: 1:00 PM
Location: City of Wetaskiwin Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 4705 50 Avenue.
According to Section 75.1(2) of the MGA, a municipality, by itself or with other municipalities, may establish and control, or obtain control, of a municipally controlled corporation (MCC), which is created under the Business Corporations Act only if the council of the municipality complies with certain procedures.
PURSUANT to sections 75.1, 75.5, 230 and 606 of the Municipal Government Act, Revised Statutes of Alberta 2000, Chapter M-26, as amended and Section 3 of the Municipally Controlled Corporation Regulation, A.R. 112/2019, the Council of the City of Wetaskiwin (the “City”), in the Province of Alberta hereby gives notice of its intention to incorporate a new corporation pursuant to the Business Corporations Act (the “BCA”) to be a municipally controlled corporation (an “MCC”). The City-controlled MCC shall assume all responsibilities for the operation of water and wastewater services within the municipal boundaries of the City.
THE PURPOSE of the proposed Resolution 453/21 is:
- To provide information to the public concerning the new proposed MCC and the City’s intention for the provision of water and wastewater services;
- Pursuant to both the terms of Division 9 of Part 3 of the Municipal Government Act (the “MGA”) and the Municipally Controlled Corporation Regulation (the “MCC Regulation”), a municipality may only incorporate a new corporation pursuant to the BCA if certain preliminary steps are taken, which include, but are not limited, to holding a public hearing as stated hereof;
- The Council of the City wishes to comply with all obligations under the MGA and the MCC Regulation to cause the MCC to be incorporated.
THE PURPOSE of the proposed incorporation of the MCC and the control by the City is to ensure:
- A specialized entity is created to provide these utility services.
- The City can transfer all financial obligations and debt obligations to the MCC, thereby clearing these financial liabilities from the City’s financial records;
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION will be disclosed at the public hearing:
- the wastewater services to be provided by the MCC;
- the water services to be provided by the MCC;
- the name of the shareholder of the MCC, which shall be the City as the sole shareholder;
- the geographic locations within Alberta in which the MCC intends to provide services; and
- the projected rate structure for the cost of services.
THIS PUBLIC HEARING will be held on January 24, 2022 at 1 PM or as soon thereafter as possible, at 4705 50 Avenue, Wetaskiwin Alberta at which time written and verbal submissions can be presented to Council. Submissionsmay be made by any person whom Council agrees to hear.
ANY WRITTEN SUBMISSIONS that are mailed or delivered to the City of Wetaskiwin, PO Box 6210, Wetaskiwin AB, T9A 2E9 or faxed to 780-361-4402 prior to 4:30 p.m. January 21, 2022 or emailed to email@example.com will be included on the Council Agenda. Written and verbal submissions may also be made at the Council meeting without prior notification to the City of Wetaskiwin.
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT the materials to be discussed at the Public Hearing and a copy of the proposed resolution are accessible at the following link: https://www.whatifwetaskiwin.ca/wastewater-treatment-facility