- Licences & Permits
- Pet Information & Licensing
Pet Information & Licensing
Animal Licensing Information
The City of Wetaskiwin has a Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw in place stating that all pet owners must obtain a City licence for their animal on the first day on which the City office is open for business after the animal becomes six (6) months of age. The licensing paperwork must be completed in-person at City Hall (4705 - 50 Avenue, Wetaskiwin). Registration fees can be found below. View the full Bylaw on our website for more information, including Fees and Offence Penalties.
- Spayed or neutered (Altered) dog or cat - $100 (annual fee)
*A vet record is required to provide proof of your pet's spay/neuter
- Non-spayed or non-neutered (Unaltered) dog or cat - $200 (annual fee)
- Prohibited animal license - $200
- Replacement licence (if tag is lost) - $10
- Service Dog - must be registered - No fee
If your pet decides to take an unaccompanied stroll through the neighborhood and is subsequently taken to the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic, the following fees will apply when you pick up your cat/dog:
|First Impoundment||$25 *
|Second Impoundment (within twelve (12) months)||$50 *|
|Third Impoundment (within twelve (12) months)||$100 *|
|Fourth and subsequent Impoundments (within twelve (12) months)||$200 *|
|Care and Subsistence (each full day of impoundment)||$30|
|Veterinary Services||Amount expended|
|Destruction of dog or cat||Amount expended|
|* Owners shall pay all fees associated with the impoundment of an animal in addition to the base impound fee and care and subsistence.|
All lost pets in the City of Wetaskiwin are housed at the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic (4735 - 39 Avenue), which, under contract with the City, operates the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter. You can call them at 780.352.7006.
If you find a lost or stray animal, there are a few ways to return the animal to its owner:
- If the pet has a City of Wetaskiwin license, call 780.361.4401 to be connected with a Community Peace Officer who will contact the owner.
- It it is during business hours take the pet to the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic (4735 - 39 Avenue) and they will contact the City to contact the owner.
- After normal business hours please call the RCMP Complaint Line at 780.312.7267.
- If you would like to adopt the animal, be sure to ask for special consideration when reporting it or turning it over to the shelter. If the owner does not reclaim the animal and it is adoptable, you will be considered first for adoption.
If you have lost a pet, follow these steps:
- Immediately look around your neighbourhood.
- Visit the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic - Shelter Facebook page to see if your pet has been turned in, or call them at 780.352.7006
- Check with our Community Peace Officers (Phone: 780.361.4401) to make sure that the contact information associated with your license is correct. If your pet is licensed and wearing tags, animal services will contact you if your pet is found.