As of October 17, 2018, cannabis will be legal across Canada. Cannabis refers to products made from the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant. You may have also heard it called marijuana or pot. Right now it is only legal to use cannabis if you have a medical prescription.
Where We Are
Retail Cannabis Applications
View the application form | On September 17, 2018, Wetaskiwin City Council approved the use of a random selection process to accept applications for cannabis retail locations in Wetaskiwin. The deadline to submit an application for the random selection process is 10:00 am local time on Wednesday, October 10, 2018. Please call 780.361.4405 with any questions.
Proposed Retail Buffer Zones
View a map of the proposed buffer zones | Wetaskiwin City Council recommended the following buffer zones concerning the location of cannabis retail stores at the special September 17th Council Meeting:
The City of Wetaskiwin held an open house on June 25, 2018 highlighting important decisions that the municipality must make to prepare for the upcoming legalization of cannabis. We also had an online survey available for people to take, and received nearly 400 responses!
Other ways that the City of Wetaskiwin is engaging local citizens and stakeholders includes:
- Collecting citizen questions and comments through Cannabis Input email
- Advertising the city council meetings where discussion on cannabis-related legislation will occur
Education & Awareness
As with anything new and unfamiliar, it is important to first receive the facts about the issue. The City of Wetaskiwin is very interested in knowing what aspects of cannabis you would like to learn more about. You may share this by emailing us at Cannabis Input email.
The Government of Canada also has excellent resources available for those who wish to learn more.
This is a new process for everyone, and sharing your thoughts, concerns, and suggestions helps Wetaskiwin city council navigate decisions with outcomes that reflect the needs and desires of our community.
You can contact us in following ways:
- Call or write to one of our seven elected officials
- Email your comments/questions to Cannabis Input email
- Call Wetaskiwin City Hall at 780.361.4400
- June 21, 2018: The Cannabis Act (Bill C-45) receives Royal Assent, with a legalization date planned for October 17, 2018.
- April 2017: the federal government introduced a bill to legalize recreational cannabis in 2018. The federal bill creates a strict legal framework to control how cannabis is produced, distributed, and sold. The federal bill also defines the legal age and possession amount for cannabis. Visit the Government of Canada website for more information on the federal legalization and regulation of cannabis.
- February 2018: the provincial government released legislation and regulations regarding cannabis legislation. Visit the Government of Alberta website to read the Alberta Cannabis Framework.