Changes to Utility Payments

Outstanding City Utilities No Longer Being Transferred to Tax Roll

While the City used to allow overdue utility balances to be transferred to the property owner’s tax roll, this is no longer the case. As of January 1, 2020, City of Wetaskiwin utility payments should only be made directly to the City of Wetaskiwin.

If you currently pay your utility bill through your bank as part of your mortgage payment, please contact your bank directly to have them stop taking the utility portion of your mortgage payment starting in January 2020. Utility payments must be made to the City of Wetaskiwin directly.

The City of Wetaskiwin continues to work with utility customers whose accounts are past due and encourages anyone with outstanding invoices to call the utility office at 780.361.4453 to make payment arrangements. Payment arrangements previously set for three (3) months will now be extended for up to twelve (12) months, depending on the customer’s circumstance.

Water Disconnection Updates

The City will not be disconnecting any water services for the month of December (2019) but will resume disconnection in January for properties whose owners have not made any attempt to contact the utility office and arrange a payment plan.

Don’t panic—your water will not be shut off without you receiving advance notice. A ‘Notice of Overdue Account’ letter is sent to all customers whose utility accounts are over 30 days past due. Within this letter, the City asks that the property owner contact its utility office within one month of the date of the letter. If no communication is received from the property owner within that time frame, then another letter is sent out stating that the property has now been added to a water service disconnect list. If no payment arrangements are forthcoming, then a 24-hour disconnection notice will be served to the property before the water service is officially disconnected.

Once water service has been disconnected to a property, the total amount outstanding plus a re-connection fee will have to be paid in full before water service to the property is restored.


Call the utility office at 780.361.4453 or visit them in-person at 5710 – 51 Street, Wetaskiwin.